Sunday, February 17, 2013

Make Your Own Art: Maps



This is the second installment of a series on making your own art, but one that I have been continually working on for quite a while because it involves a growing collection: maps from travels. I have always loved maps, old and new, and the collection started because I couldn't bear to throw them away after using them. What makes this project personal is that several are marked up with directions, routes taken and sites seen, and looking at them brings back memories of great trips.
Once a few had accumulated, I decided to hang them. Most are in simple snap-in frames or box frames (that I have no idea how I acquired because I have never purchased them) but a few are wrapped around canvases. In one (sloppy) case, the map is actually glued directly to the cardboard box a frame came in.


When hung all together, I think the mix really works. And it's really fun to have people guess what city the map is of when they come over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment